Laugh Lab DIY: Stink bombs
Stink bombs are weapons of gas destruction, created by mixing certain chemicals to release a truly nasty smell. We’re talking really nasty here…
Nobody really likes bad smells – that’s why they’re ‘bad’. But that’s also what makes them perfect for pranks. Just make sure the wind’s going the right way.
One of the best (or worst) bad smells is the stink of a rotten-egg. The active ingredient is a chemical called ammonium sulphate, and here’s how you can make your own:
1. Get an adult to help you. This is very important.
2. Carefully cut the heads off a boxful of matches (they contain sulphur) and add them to 400 g of household ammonia (you can get this from a supermarket).
3. Heat on a stove for 10 minutes, or until it starts giving off fumes.
4. Transfer the resulting liquid into a bucket. (It should be yellow.)
5. Stir with a stick, then cover with plastic and leave for 30 minutes.
6. Pour through a cloth into any glass bottle.
7. Fill a balloon partway with water from a hose or tap – enough to get it to start stretching properly, so the walls thin out – then use a funnel to pour in the stink bomb stuff.
8. Tie the end of the balloon and your bomb is ready to throw.
WARNING: This liquid must be handled with respect. Do not throw your stink bombs directly at a person or animal, and do not leave the liquid where a person or animal can drink it by mistake!